Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fitz Overalls Advertising Postcard


The Fitz advertising postcard shown above has been in my collection for as long as I can remember. When I acquired it I really wasn't worried about the condition and figured I'd upgrade it down the road. Well, I've travelled down the road and had a chance to upgrade with the card shown two photos down. Not only was the condition much nicer, but the card is as it was originally offered. The upgrade card has two tape measures attached to it. At first I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be there or if they were added later, but upon closer inspection of the first card and others I have seen, the tape measures did originally come with the card. On every card I've seen, there is a noticeable notch at the top from the heavy paper clip. On the one above it is seen right above the "K" in KINDS.


The card is undated but believed to be from around 1910. It was issued by Burnham, Munger & Root, the makers of Fitz Overalls in Kansas City, Missouri. The company was established in 1893.

According to Meg Fisher, the man in the overalls is her great-grandfather, William Wesley Root, and the woman is her grandmother, Elizabeth Root Fisher. The illustration of her looks very much like pieces done by Charles Dana Gibson.



No comments:

Post a Comment